PROMISE JOBS, “Promoting Independence and Self Sufficiency through Employment,” is Iowa’s welfare reform program. Designed to assist Family Investment Program (FIP) recipients to become self-sufficient, PROMISE JOBS is a participation requirement for most FIP recipients. Participants develop an individualized Family Investment Agreement (FIA) that outlines what steps they will take to enable them to leave public
assistance. A number of activities are available to PROMISE JOBS participants, including:
- Assessment – Aptitudes and interests are evaluated to help participants determine their best route to self-sufficiency.
- Lifeskills – A workshop that covers money management, self-esteem, housing information, nutrition, parenting information, etc.
- Job Seeking and Skills Training – A workshop that covers proper interviewing techniques, résumés, how to fill out a job application, and other work search information.
- Job Search – Assistance with finding employment.
- Monitored Employment
– Full/part-time unsubsidized employment.
- Basic Education – Includes assistance with high school completion, GED, adult basic education, and
- Post-Secondary Classroom Training – Includes assistance with academic and vocational training, which prepares participants for a specific area of employment. Assistance is dependent on abilities and aptitudes, available funding, and other requirements. There is currently a 24-month funding limit on all approved post-secondary education.
- Parenting Skills – Training that helps participants become better parents.
- Family Development Services – Help overcoming significant family barriers.
- Family Planning Services – An option for everyone referred to PROMISE JOBS. Participants can find out how additional children can affect a family’s finances.
financial assistance for transportation and childcare is available for
PROMISE JOBS participants, depending on the activity. Limited funding for
car repairs, work clothing, and other approvable costs is also available
through Family Self-Sufficiency
Grant (FSSG) to help participants who are job ready or already
employed. Details of Family Self-Sufficiency Grant are outlined in
regional plan. To
apply for FSSG PROMISE JOBS participant should contact their PROMISE JOBS
worker, fill out the FSSG
Application and provide items on
For more information on PROMISE JOBS eligibility and participation
requirements, contact the office nearest you:
to Services for Job Seekers
3420 University Avenue
Waterloo, IA 50701
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday
General Services Information:
Fax (319) 235-1068
Investment Act (W.I.A.)
and Promise Jobs Information
Voice (319) 291-2546
Fax (319) 291-2651
Search | Site Map
Iowa Workforce Development Region 7