For Immediate Release: August 27, 2012
Contact: Carol Morgan
Telephone: (712) 242-2131
Printer Friendly PDF Version
SW IA ECI: “Difficult People & Difficult Conversations” + “Documenting & Disciplining”
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA – The Southwest Iowa Employers’ Council (ECI) in conjunction with Iowa Workforce Development is offering two training sessions for employers and human resource personnel on Wednesday, October 17th at Iowa School for the Deaf in Council Bluffs. Both sessions will be led by national speaker and trainer, Kathy Peterson, owner of PeopleWorks, Inc.
“DIFFICULT PEOPLE & DIFFICULT CONVERSATIONS” 8:30 am to 11:30 am
• Avoiding conversations you ought to have or wishing you could be more assertive and in control?
• Losing patience with certain people or personality types?
• Having problems giving negative feedback or feeling anxious before a difficult conversation?
• Thinking of what you “should have” said after the conversation is over?
• Having trouble managing emotional customers, colleagues or employees?
During this program, attendees will learn techniques and strategies that will allow you to handle difficult conversations and difficult people with skill and confidence. You will be engaged in practical and interactive discussions and exercises that will change the way you see and respond to difficult people and difficult conversations. You will be given opportunities to practice the skills you learn so you can have difficult discussions effectively AND enhance your relationships even with the most problematic employees. What if people aren’t just difficult—if they aren’t doing their job or fail to meet expectations/job requirements? Stay for the afternoon session!
“DOCUMENTING & DISCIPLINING” 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Have a problem employee but aren’t sure what to do with them (or what can be done with them legally)?
Not sure when to begin discipline or what to document when dealing with employees? This program will discuss specific, legal strategies that will help work with employees to try to help them get back on track. These strategies include: documenting (the legal way), coaching and counseling for improved performance, and applying progressive discipline. This program also includes guidelines for making a decision to terminate an employee if the employee chooses not to meet their expectations.
As a result of this program, attendees and employers should be able to:
• Use the FOSA model in documenting both positive and not-so-positive performance.
• Understand, from a legal standpoint, what should and should not be documented.
• Identify the states of progressive discipline and what documentation is required at each step.
• Identify things to think about before deciding to terminate an employee.
About the speaker…..Kathy ensures that each and every speaking engagement and training session is full of cutting-edge, proven, actionable strategies to help her clients. Her clients see results—reporting an increase in employee performance, service, retention and customer satisfaction. Her training programs are not only full of great information, but always presented in a fun, interactive and engaging way. More information can be found on the PeopleWorks website www.peopleworksinc.com.
For more information and to register for these sessions, contact Carol Morgan at (712) 242-2131 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday Oct 12th. There is a minimal registration fee to attend. These programs have each been approved for 3.0 (General) recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR through HRCI.