For Immediate Release: October 20, 2011
Contact: Carol Morgan
Telephone: (712) 242-2131
Printer Friendly PDF Version
Southwest Iowa Employers’ Council of Iowa to Host Seminar in November
Council Bluffs, IA – The Southwestern Iowa Employers’ Council of Iowa (ECI) will host a seminar to help employers learn how to effectively “Manage Employee Absenteeism, Tardiness and Leaves.” Speaker Chad P. Richter, partner of Omaha-based Jackson Lewis, LLP, will help companies sort out the do’s and don’ts for developing and managing an effective policy.
Managing Employee Absenteeism, Tardiness and Leaves
Tuesday, November 15th, 8:30 am – 10:30 am
Hoy-Kilnoski Funeral Home
1211 North 16th Street, Council Bluffs, IA 51501
Mandatory leave laws need to be incorporated into leave policies. Some of those can create restrictions on how to administer leave policies and on disciplining employees when they appear to abuse policies. In addition, this seminar will also focus on how to manage the land mine through the valid and invalid “excuses” employees come up with and provide ways to improve absentee and tardiness rates.
Program topics include:
- Understanding Employee Leave Laws: FMLA, ADA, Work Comp, Civil Rights Act, USERRA and Jury Duty
- Types of Leave Typically Provided by Company; Pros and Cons of PTO vs. Separate Vacation & Sick Leave Benefits
- Importance of Effective Attendance and Tardiness Policies and procedures in Employee Handbook
- Typical Policy Components: Notice, Pay, Benefits, Job Abandonment
- Return-to-Work from Leave Issues, Granting Extensions
- Managing Illness-related Absences, Record-keeping
- Value of Training Supervisors; Proper Documentation
- Disciplinary Actions; Rewarding Good Behavior
Featured speaker Richter provides advice to management located throughout the country on issues surrounding FMLA, ADA, WARN Act, Title VII, FLSA, workers’ compensation, NLRA, privacy issues, FCRA, and corollary state law.
Pre-registration is requested by Thursday, November 10 to Carol Morgan at (712) 242-2131 or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a nominal registration fee to attend; this program has been approved for 2.0 (General) recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI).
All business owners, human resource personnel, managers, line supervisors, attorneys, paralegals, medical professionals, human resource outsourcing companies and accounting firms are invited to attend. Due to the complex nature of this topic, employers are encouraged to send multiple staff.