For Immediate Release: May 11, 2010
Contact: Carol Morgan
Telephone: (712) 242-2131
Printer Friendly PDF Version
SW IA ECI: “Web 2.0, Social Media and Employment Law: Legal Issues in the Workplace”
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA – Social networking web sites, social media, and other “Web 2.0” issues have been fundamentally changing the way we use technology and understand interpersonal interaction. These rapid changes in technology often present challenges in the workplace.
The SW IA Employers’ Council is sponsoring a training session on “Web 2.0, Social Media and Employment Law: Legal Issues in the Workplace” on Wednesday June 9, 2010. The session will be held from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm at the MICAH House, Charles Lakin Campus, 1415 Ave J, Council Bluffs. Des Moines attorney Megan J. Erickson will be presenting on legal issues in the workplace related to employee use of online social media. All business owners, human resource personnel, attorneys, paralegals, company supervisors and payroll staff are invited to attend. Due to the complexity of this topic, employers are encouraged to send multiple staff.
Ms. Erickson will touch upon a variety of hot legal issues that may arise in the workplace as a result of this ever-increasing use of social media. Some of these issues include:
• How an employee’s online activity (even outside of work hours and off of work computers) has the potential to affect his or her employer... you may be surprised to see what employees are up to out there! How should an employer properly respond?
Featured speaker will be Megan J. Erickson, Attorney with Dickinson, Mackaman, Tyler & Hagen, P.C. Law Firm in Des Moines, Iowa. Ms. Erickson is a member of the firm’s Litigation and Employment and Labor Law practice groups, and she practices primarily in employment law and general litigation. Her employment law practice focuses on defending and advising employers in employment-related issues and disputes, including restrictive covenants, social media and other workplace/personnel policies, and discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination issues. Megan is a member of the Polk County, Iowa State, and American Bar Associations. She is also a past board member of the Polk County Women Attorneys. Megan is admitted to the Iowa State Bar and the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa.
• More and more employers are using social media as part of the recruitment and hiring process. What are some limitations on an employer’s use of online research when researching candidates?
• New online social tools like geolocation services (Foursquare and Gowalla, for example) seem to be an emerging trend in 2010. How might anti-discrimination, harassment, and retaliation laws be implicated by checking up on an employee’s use of such services?
• What are some special employment law considerations with respect to professional networking sites like LinkedIn?
• What are some HR best practices and/or policy considerations regarding employees’ use of social media?
• Employee monitoring/privacy issues in the context of investigation, discipline & discharge issues.
There is a registration fee of $15.00 to attend which includes all meeting expenses. Pre-registration is requested by Friday June 4th to Carol Morgan at (712) 242-2131 or . This program has been approved for 2.0 (General) recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI). A certificate of attendance will be provided at the training session.
The Southwest IA Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 13 including Harrison, Shelby, Pottawattamie, Mills, Cass, Freemont and Page counties, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. All businesses, including Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri employers are welcome to attend ECI events. This employers’ group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan for more information about the Southwest Iowa ECI group.