For Immediate Release: May 11, 2010
Contact: Peggy Murray: (563) 556-5800 ext. 130
Printer Friendly PDF Version
Employer Workshop on Unemployment Questions? Ask the Judge!
Dubuque, IA: Have you, as an employer, had questions regarding unemployment and the appeal process? Attend this informational workshop and have your questions answered.
Northeast Iowa Employers Council of Iowa (ECI), in partnership with Northeast Iowa Community College (NICC), IowaWORKS, and Dubuque Area Labor Management Council (DALMC) are sponsoring an employer workshop titled “Unemployment Question? Ask the Judge!” The speaker will be Chief Administrative Law Judge, Dan Anderson from Iowa Workforce Development. The workshop is being offered at three different times and locations:
• Thursday, June 17, 2010 from 8:30 am – 11:30 am at NICC Town Clock Center, 680 Main Street, Dubuque, Iowa, Second Floor, Room 231/232
The objectives of the workshop include:
• Thursday, June 17, 2010 from 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm at F & M Bank, 101 East Main Street, Manchester, IA
• Friday, June 18, 2010 from 9:00 am – noon at NICC Calmar Campus, Wilder Center, Room 105
1) Attendee will be able to define misconduct, discharges and quits
Dan Anderson has been an administrative law judge (ALJ) with Iowa Workforce Development since June of 1984, becoming chief ALJ in 1996. Prior to that, he was engaged in private practice law. He has prepared training materials and participated in training seminars sponsored by the United States Department of Labor, the Iowa Association of Administrative Law Judges, the Iowa State Bar Association and the Polk County Bar Association. He has issued over 22,500 decisions during his career as an administrative law judge.
2) Attendee will gain an understanding of the following in relationship to UI appeal hearings: drug testing as it relates to unemployment, documentation of disciplinary actions, separation issues such as discharges for attendance, insubordination, fighting, quitting without good cause, refusals of work or recall, suitable offers of work, health-related issues, procedural issues and special challenges and timeliness of appeal procedure.
The cost of the workshop is $19.00. HRCI credits have been applied for and will be included in the registration fee. To register for the Dubuque and Manchester locations, call NICC at (563) 557-8271 ext. 380 and for the Calmar location, call (563) 562-3262 or 1-800-728-2256 ext. 399