For Immediate Release: February 16, 2010
Contact: Carol Morgan
Telephone: (712) 242-2131
Printer Friendly PDF Version
Southwest Iowa ECI: “Unemployment Appeal Hearings in Iowa and Nebraska”
COUNCIL BLUFFS – A training session for Iowa and Nebraska employers on “Unemployment Appeal Hearings in Iowa and Nebraska—What Every Employer Needs to Know” will be held on Wednesday March 17, 2010.Featured speakers will be Dan Anderson, Chief Administrative Law Judge with Iowa Workforce Development and Terrence Nice, Administrative Law Judge with IWD and previous Chief Administrative Law Judge with Nebraska Appeal Tribunal-Dept of Labor. The training session will be held from 11:30 am to 3:30 pm at the Lewis & Clark Rm, Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites at Ameristar, 2202 River Road, Council Bluffs, IA. All Nebraska and Iowa business owners, human resource personnel, attorneys, paralegals, financial officers and payroll staff are invited to attend. Due to the complexity of this topic, employers are encouraged to send multiple staff.
Program topics include:
• Definitions of misconduct, discharges and quits
• Iowa & Nebraska Codes and Iowa and Nebraska Employment Security Laws
• Law changes on unemployment overpayments and the importance of participating in the first level telephone fact-finding interviews
• Separation issues such as discharges for attendance, insubordination, fighting on the job, off duty conduct, gross misconduct, carelessness & negligence; quitting for good cause attributable to the employer, quits to avoid violence and domestic abuse, quits to accept other employment, quitting without good cause; temporary employees of employment firms, refusals of work or recall; suitable offers of work; issues involving part time employees
• Health related separation issues, work related & non work related ; choice of medical doctor; quit as a part of a work compensation settlement
• Drug testing as it relates to unemployment benefits
• Procedural issues and special challenges in handling unemployment insurance appeal hearing cases
• Timeliness of the appeal procedure
• Documentation of disciplinary actions
• Miscellaneous tough Unemployment Appeal Hearing issues
Both presenters have extensive knowledge and expertise in their individual state’s unemployment laws and administrative rules.
There is a registration fee of $25 to attend which covers meeting expenses and refreshments. Pre-registration is requested by Friday March 12th to Carol Morgan at (712) 242-2131 or . This program has been approved for 3.5 (General) recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI). A certificate of attendance will be provided at the training session.
The Southwest IA Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 13 including Harrison, Shelby, Pottawattamie, Mills, Cass, Freemont and Page counties, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. All businesses, including Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri employers are welcome to attend ECI events. This employers’ group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan for more information about the Southwest Iowa ECI group.