For Immediate Release: August 27, 2009
Contact: Carol Morgan: (712) 242-2131
Printer Friendly PDF Version
Southwest Iowa ECI: “Grab-bag of EEOC Issues and Topics for Employers” and
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA –The Southwest Iowa Employers’ Council and Iowa Workforce Development in conjunction with the Iowa Committee for ESGR will present two valuable training sessions for businesses on Wednesday September 16, 2009 from 9:00 am to 1:30 pm at Iowa Western Community College, 2700 College Rd, Looft Hall Rm 006, Council Bluffs. All employers, human resource personnel, recruiters, attorneys, paralegals, business owners & managers are invited to attend.
“The ESGR: Building Relationships Between Employers and Today’s Military”
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Grab-bag of EEO Topics and Issues for Employers
With Maria Flores, Program Manager with US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Milwaukee Area Office, Milwaukee, WI
• Overview of Federal EEO Laws & Employer Obligations
• Understanding & Responding to EEOC Investigations
• Preventing Discrimination including National Origin
• Race & Color Discrimination (E-RACE Initiative)
• Religious Discrimination & Accommodation at Work
• Harassment Refresher: Race, Gender, Ethnicity, etc
• EEO Update: What Every Employer Should Know—EEO Trends & Issues, ADA Amendments Act, Veterans & Work Accommodations, Care-giving Discrimination, Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.
ESGR: Building Relationships Between Employers and Today’s Military
With Rebecca Coady, ESGR Deputy Director, US Dept of Defense, Camp Dodge, Johnston, IA, et al
• Role of the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve
• USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment & Reemployment Rights Act)
• What is PTSD? (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
• Traumatic Brain Injury
• Military Employee Speaker and other outstanding presentations by military personnel
• ESGR Employer Awards Programs
• What are my responsibilities as an employer with military employees? All employers should know this information regardless of whether they hire military
There is no registration fee to attend; lunch will be provided at no cost courtesy of ESGR but pre-registration is required by Friday, September 11th to Carol Morgan, (712)242.2131 or . Seating is limited to 50 attendees. This program has been approved for 4.0 (General) recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI) and a certificate will be provided at the training session.
The Southwest IA Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 13 including Harrison, Shelby, Pottawattamie, Mills, Cass, Freemont and Page counties, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. All businesses, including Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri employers are welcome to attend ECI events. This employer’s group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan at (712)242-2131 or . for more information about the Southwest Iowa ECI group.