For Immediate Release
Contact: Carol Morgan: (712) 242-2131
Printer Friendly PDF Version
Innovative Recruiting Strategies—An Untapped Source of Employees
COUNCIL BLUFFS - Businesses today are facing one of the most challenging hiring markets in decades. With unemployment at historic lows, finding quality employees is more difficult than ever. Because the best staff employers can hire is no better than the best of those who apply, human resource professionals must recruit the best. In order to get top-quality employees, companies must go after them persistently, proactively, and creatively.
The Southwest Iowa Employers’ Council (ECI) will be meeting on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 pm at the Community Hall, 205 South Main St, Council Bluffs to learn about “Innovative Recruiting Strategies—An Untapped Source of Employees”. All business owners, human resource personnel, managers and line supervisors are invited to attend this no-cost session to learn about innovative sources of employees.
Within the decade, as the massive boomer generation begins to retire and fewer skilled workers are available to replace them, companies will face a labor shortage and brain drain of dramatic proportions. In today’s tight labor market, finding employees that are “keepers” is critical to success. This program offers a powerful new action plan to help companies find and keep employees who will enable them to find and keep success.
The program’s panel of presenters include:
• Gilda Bettis with the New Iowan Center in Council Bluffs. 50% of America’s workforce is now of a non-traditional/new ethnicity or culture; learning the fine nuances to recruiting, hiring and retaining multicultural employees.
Pre-registration is requested by Friday, October 3rd to Carol Morgan at . Lunch will be provided at no cost. This program has been approved for 1.5 (General) recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI) and a certificate will be provided at the training session.
• Wayne Reed and Steve Weis with the Fourth Judicial District Correctional Services, Community Treatment –Reentry Program. There are numerous benefits of hiring individuals on correctional supervision. The Iowa Reentry Initiative envisions a reentry paradigm that assures the safety of our communities, the well-being of our citizens, the restoration of crime victims and the transition of offenders into productive, law-abiding citizens.
• Karen Goehring with the Disability Navigator program in Council Bluffs. Navigators develop resources for businesses to support the employment of people with disabilities and provide information and training about programs, adaptive technology and accommodations.
• Jeanne Sorenson Wright, IWD Program Coordinator. Get a tax credit when you hire! The Welfare-to-Work and Work Opportunity Tax Credits reduce an employer’s cost of doing business and require little paperwork.
• Barb McClanahan with Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services. Barb will present information on the collaborative efforts of the Employer Disability Resource Network (EDRN). This initiative coordinates Iowa resources to assist the business community in the recruitment and retention of qualified persons with disabilities through no cost placement services, pre-screening, employer support & consultation, follow-up services, tax benefits, worksite consultation, technical advisement on accommodations, ergonomic issues and on-the-job training.
The Southwest IA Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 13 including Harrison, Shelby, Pottawattamie, Mills, Cass, Freemont and Page counties, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. All businesses, including Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri employers are welcome to attend ECI events. This employer’s group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan at (712) 242-2131 or for more information about the Southwest Iowa ECI group.