For Immediate Release
Contact: Carol Morgan
Telephone: (712) 242-2131
Printer Friendly PDF Version
Chief Administrative Law Judge Dan Anderson
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA – Employers: Are you losing your unemployment appeal hearings? Is your UI tax rate going up due to multiple unemployment claims going against your favor? Learn how to prepare your case to win! The Southwest IA Employers’ Council (ECI) and Iowa Workforce Development will be hosting an Unemployment Appeal Hearing training session on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 from 10:30 a.m. to 2:00 pm at Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World, Green Rm, 2901 Bass Pro Drive in Council Bluffs. All employers, human resource personnel, attorneys, paralegals, financial officers and payroll staff are invited to attend.
to Speak at Unemployment Law Seminar
This informative Unemployment Insurance Appeal Hearing session is presented by Chief Administrative Law Judge Dan Anderson. Judge Anderson has been an Administrative Law Judge with Iowa Workforce Development since 1984, becoming Chief Administrative Law Judge in 1996. In 1968 he received his Baccalaureate degree from Macalester College. After military service, he attended the University of Iowa College of Law, graduating in 1975. He was engaged in private practice in Atlantic, IA prior to joining IWD. He has prepared training materials and participated in training seminars sponsored by the US Department of Labor, the National Judicial College, the Iowa Associate of Administrative Law Judges and the Iowa State Bar Association. He is a member of both the Iowa and National Association of Administrative Law Judges.
The topics to be discussed at the session include:
• Definitions of misconduct, discharges and quits
• Iowa Codes and Iowa Employment Security Laws
• Separation issues such as discharges for attendance, insubordination, fighting on the job, off duty conduct, gross misconduct, carelessness & negligence; quitting for good cause attributable to the employer; quits to avoid violence, quits to accept other employment; quitting without good cause; temporary employees of employment firms; refusals of work or recall, suitable offers of work; issues involving part time employees
• Health-related separation issues, work related & non-work related; choice of medical doctor; quit as a part of a work compensation settlement
• Drug testing as it relates to unemployment benefits
• Procedural issues and special challenges in handling unemployment insurance appeal hearing cases
• Timeliness of the appeal procedure
• Documentation of disciplinary actions
• Miscellaneous tough Unemployment Appeal Hearing issues
Pre-registration is requested by Friday, December 7 to Carol Morgan, by e-mail at email@example.com or by telephone at (712) 242-2131. There is a minimal registration fee to attend which includes handouts, lunch and meeting expenses. A certificate of attendance will be provided to attendees for recertification purposes. The Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World is located just off the 24th Street Exit of Interstate 80 in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
The Southwest IA Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 13, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. This employer’s group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan at (712) 242-2131, if you have questions about this training session or for information on a no-cost membership to the Southwest Iowa ECI group.