For Immediate Release
Contact: Carol Morgan: (712) 242-2131
Printer Friendly PDF Version
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA – Get the latest information on ten hot employment topics by employment law attorney Barbara Tapscott. The Southwest Iowa Employers’ Council (ECI) and Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) will be hosting a seminar for employers to learn about updates in employment laws and practices. The meeting will be held on Monday, December 11, 2006, from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon. This training session will be conducted at the Omni Centre Business Park, “Old Sears” location, 300 West Broadway, Council Bluffs. All employers, human resource employees, accounting, payroll and other staff members are invited to attend.
Tapscott, formerly of Iowa Workforce Development, a private-practice employment attorney in Iowa and Pennsylvania, will give this fast-paced two-hour presentation covering a broad range of employment topics. She is a frequent speaker and trainer before employer and business groups.
Here are just a few of them that should interest employers and human resource officials:
• The $78 million jury verdict awarded retail workers for missed work breaks and off-the-clock time: are you paying what is owed?
• The DOL’s latest word on overtime exemptions: are you doing it right?
• Recent Iowa court decisions on immunity for references and defamation; what can you say about that fired employee?
• The aging labor force: how can you safely recruit them; can you favor them over younger employees; and what happens when they can’t lift anything anymore?
• Retaliation: The U.S. Supreme Court has spoken on what it is: are your supervisors listening?
To register for the seminar, businesses may contact Carol Morgan, Iowa Workforce Development, at (712) 242-2131 or by e-mail at . Please register by Thursday, December 9th.
The Southwest Iowa ECI is an employer group in Region 13, supported locally by Iowa Workforce Development, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. This employers’ group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers.