Question :
Is my employer required to provide me other benefits of employment while I am away from work performing service?
Answer :
If and to the extent that your employer provides benefits to employees who have been furloughed (laid off) or to employees on some kind of non-military leave (jury leave, educational leave, etc.), your employer must provide similar benefits to employees who are away from work performing service in the uniformed services.

An employee who is away from work performing service in the uniformed services is entitled to elect continued health plan coverage through the civilian job. If the period of service is less than 31 days, the employer is permitted to charge the employee only the employee share (if any) of the cost of the coverage. If the period of service is 31 days or more, the employer is permitted (but not required) to charge the employee up to 102% of the entire premium, including the part that the employer normally pays in the case of active employees.

  Was this answer useful to you?
Yes No

< Back


Iowa Workforce Development
1000 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0209
Telephone: (515) 281-5387
For Deaf and Hard Of Hearing, Use Relay 711
Copyright -All Rights Reserved

An Equal Opportunity
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request for individuals with disabilities.